The University of Tulsa: Student Veteran Association
800 S TUCKER DR | Tulsa, OK 74014 | 918.631.3985


Q: How do I get my Education Benefits started?
A: You must apply for your educational benefits through the VA online at vabenefits.vba.va.gov. For eligibility or payment history questions visit https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/homepage. Prior to each semester a Certificate of Eligibility will be completed and processed by the University of Tulsa Student Veteran Registrar Cindy Watts. If you have any questions regarding your education benefits you may email TU's Veteran Advisor, Cindy Watts, at [email protected] or call 918.631.3985 to make an appointment with the Veterans Resource Center.

Q: I have a parent who is a veteran. How can I receive VA education benefits because of their service time?
Q: How long does it take for me to start receiving money from my VA benefits?
A: The Office of the Registrar certifies students' enrollments to the VA in the order requests are received. After you submit your paperwork it takes approximately 15 business days for the university to certify it to the VA. Afterwards, it takes the VA another 30 - 45 days to process your GI Bill award.

Q: Can I qualify for financial aid even though I receive VA benefits?
A: Yes. Apply for financial aid through www.fafsa.ed.gov. Amounts and eligibility will vary per student. If you only qualify for loans, you have the option to decline them.

Q: Can I receive credit for my military training?
A: It is possible but it is up to the school to accept your military training according to your degree plan. Your first step would be to send your JST, VMET, and other college transcript (if applicable) to the TU Office of Admission.

Q: How can I help the Student Veterans Organization with their goals?
A: There are many ways that are equally appreciated.
  1. Encourage Veterans and Veterans' Supporters to check out our website, and facebook page.
  2. Donate what you can and feel is right and get listed with other epic donors.
  3. Become a sponsor to show your support for Veterans (and get added publicity and backlinks to your domain).
  4. Contact us via e-mail.
Q: How can I stay up-to-date with the Student Veterans Organization away from tusva.org?
A: You can follow us on Facebook and and join our mailing list and export our Events Calendar.

Q: How many credit hours must I have to be considered fulltime?
A: You must take a minimum of 12 credit hours a semester during the spring and fall and 9 credit hours during the summer to be classified as fulltime.

Q: Who maintains this website?
A: A group of awesome TU Student Veterans and Veterans' supporters. Want to help? Contact the Webmaster here.

Q: Are there any scholarships I can apply to?
A: Yes, there's an ever-growing list on our Resources page. If we HAD ONE.